ADRIAN WECKLER STICKS HIS neck out when making 15 predictions for 2006. They're worthy being his first blog entry because several would attract comments from the Weckler Fan Club. The 15 predcitions appear in the first Computers in Business for 2006. Here they are:
1. O2's i-mode will flop.
2. Some entry-level PCs will cost €350.
3. A standard, entry-level laptop will cost €600.
4. At least 20 pink mobile phone models will be available in Ireland.
5. A four-megapixel camera will be on a mobile phone.
6. Virgin Mobile will enter the irish market.
7. Entry-level broadband speeds will hit 2 MB.
8. PC penetration will top 50% of the population.
9. Retro digbital electronic will become the new gadget chic.
10. HD TV will become the most hyped item of the year.
11. Computers will start hitting the market without Internet Explorer installed.
12. The Minister of State for the Information Society, Tom Kitt, will repeat his intention, for the fourth consecutive year, of introducing e-democracy to Dáil Eireann.
13. There will be no cancer cases associated with mobile phones.
14. Weckler thinks he will receive at least five new spellings of his name. (Current regular aliases include Wicklier, Whackler, Wheckler, Wreckham and Wrecker. Some also call him W*nker).
15. At least three of his predictions will be humiliatingly wrong, Weckler says.
Adrian Weckler -- "Time to put my neck on the line" in Computers in Business, January 2006.